Monday, September 04, 2006


TAKE THE TIME TO BE OKAY
Typically, I don't post too many personal photos. I tend to grab them from the Internet. But as I have tons of pictures from my trip, I hope you won't mind me working with these for a while.

To be honest, I spend a lot of time looking at them. I have been gazing over and over them. Psalms come to mind, Paul's letters come to mind, the gospels ring in my head and heart. What an honor it is to be loved by God.

It was official last week. I'm now on staff with my church. Part time, that is. I am going to be serving in the Single Parent Ministry. I don't know what to say about being a single parent other than it's tough. It's tough but God has blessed me with a really wonderful son.

I am up late tonight blogging. My son starts school tomorrow but he went back over to his father's house. I could tell he wasn't too crazy about leaving. I could tell he felt guilty as well as conflicted. It isn't fair to him that he shares time between our homes. I am often at a loss as what to do. I have told him that he could go back to living with his father full time but it isn't what he wants. I tell him I will support him living with me full time but he cannot express his desires to his father. Sometimes, when my son is here, I hear him on the phone with his dad, his dad asking him "what's wrong with me? don't you love me?" It is heartbreaking and I wish his father wouldn't put him through this.

What I have done is surrender this situation to God. What I have done is decided that to be obedient to God, I will serve other single parents. I've been through a lot. My son has too. And yet, God has had his healing hand upon us for the last few years. God has been so very faithful in every measure. In every moment. We're gonna make it through.


FOR FORREST

My son,
I miss you tonight
thinking about the argument we had about the XBOX
and your class schedule
and too many Monster drinks
thinking about how I washed your t-shirts this weekend
and your one pair of jeans
to get you ready for your junior year

My son,
I miss you this moment
wondering if I'll get addicted to late-night writing and coffee again
if you spend too much time away from me
wondering if you'll remember to pray at your dad's
wondering if you'll remember to brush your teeth
and the braces I just paid off

My son,
I'm amazed
that God would give me you
and create such a marvelous path
out of my heartbreak
and create such peace
with His promises

For although we can't always be together
we love the same God
and He loves us
and part-time anything is better than no-time
and part-time anything feels, my son, like full-time
because not a minute goes by that I'm not your mother
and what a gift this is to my soul..

...and this will be enough until I see you


~Mom

9 Comments:

Blogger TiNA said...

Absolutely beautiful. Forrest is so bless to have you as a mother. I know it cannot be easy. Your son is amazing and that houes lights up when he is in it. But you are right, He is God's, not yours. I love that you cherish and appreciate every moment he is there. He feels it, he knows it... and it will make him a stronger man. Use your past experience to help others. Thank you for your obedience, faithfulness, and love!

8:59 AM  
Blogger happytheman said...

Danielle, Thanks for this amazing post and your honesty. May God continue to use you to minister in his name to us single parents. May God protect our kids and keep them Holy. Thank you so much for your trust in the Father, may be bring you comfort. Peace.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Charlyn said...

Oh Danielle - what a sweet post. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to be a part-time parent. Is his father a believer?

I love to hear how God has been faithful to you both. No matter what our situation, God is big enough to take care of it.

I love the picture of you - simply beautiful. Don't be ashamed to post your pics! Are you kidding? I love pictures!! Post more! ((hugs))

8:07 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Thank you, Tina and thank you for always keeping me and Forrest in your prayers.

Happy - Thank you for your prayers. It ain't easy but that's why God is with us!

Shenna - to answer your question, my son's father does believe in God and Jesus but I am uncertain to what extent. Plainly, he isn't "walking with the Lord" - but my son and I keep him and others who are lost in our prayers.

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful prayer (or poem), what a beautiful example. You'll be a great asset to single parents ministry. So proud to have you on the team. Love ya

8:39 PM  
Blogger Just a girl.... said...

The first picture of you is just radiant, I had to tell you.

Thank you for sharing such a heartfelt letter with us, I could read your heart in the words, and the ache that is present.

The ministry is lucky to have you on their Single Parent Ministry. What a blessing...for you, them, and those that will be inspired by you.

9:21 AM  
Blogger gracie said...

Wow, Danielle.. I hope your son gets to read that poem... Your faith as a mother inspires me to trust God with my own children's futures.

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is such a touching post.. makes me wish I had poems written to me by my mother :) Forrest is lucky to have a mom who expresses those feelings and emotions on paper for him to look back on!

7:24 AM  
Blogger Gigi said...

Beautiful....

Have been gone for a week but the way we prayed for all our friends was cool ....we leaned into and onto Romans 8:26 and just trusted as names came to us we would know and trust that the Holy Spirit knew exactly the prayers needed. 3000+ miles on the back of the bike gave us much praying time and you were a name He brought to me...thanks for your constant encouragement...love b

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home