Sunday, September 03, 2006


CHECKING OFF THAT BOX

I had a nice chat with my brother-in-law yesterday. He said something to me that struck me. He said he was proud that I had mentioned to my sister I'd move to Rwanda for a while to help out in the efforts going on there. And yes, most enthusiastically I would but as I share custody of my son, it isn't an option for me at this stage in my life. But I said it and I meant it. What he went on to say had deeper implications for myself and certainly for other Christians.

Having grown up the son of an Anglican Vicar, he knew many who'd ventured to far off places like Africa and the Pacific Islands to do "God's work" as missionaries. He said they would come back with their stories of having traveled to far off places but that they'd never return. He perceived many just wanted to being able to say they'd gone. He said they'd go to "check off that box." And I think I knew what he meant. (sigh)

I do believe it is simply okay to go on a mission somewhere and possibly not return. When one returns they will have their pictures and stories to tell that will undoubtedly be used by God to encourage others to go and serve. I also think of the Apostle Paul who continued to write letters of encouragement and guidance to churches. Even from prison, He continued to write, to reach out, even sending others in His place. Paul understood how important relationship-building is to our faith. So even if one does not return, they can send their love.

It was quite thrilling for me to go someplace so far from home. To travel to a land so different. I have always had a heart for other cultures. So the idea of moving to another culture to live and to serve appeals to me. I realize it doesn't appeal to some. And I also must realize that although I have a personal desire to serve overseas, I have surrendered my life path to God and currently, He holds all details.

But between you and me, I really hope I get to "give it a shot" one day...one day...

~Danielle

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Babe, come join me in Spain, it counts righ, it is overseas after all... I know it is not Rwanda, but there are a lot of lost people over here, and the church is not doing very well. If I move here, you can start packing!

2:38 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Viva Espana, baby! I'm IN. : )

Spain is much closer to my sister in England and Rwanda...best of both worlds, I'd say!

1:06 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I will definitely let you know when the missionaries from Rwanda have been here.

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand what you are saying about "Checking the Box". This is one of the reasons that I feel I must forgo missions work until my kiddos are older, because otherwise I cannot give my best and fullest to those I came to serve, wherever that is. Sometimes we just have to make our homes and communities our mission.

Love you,

Tab

5:54 PM  
Blogger Gardenia said...

Keep your dream. The time with your son till he is grown will go much much to fast. And when that is up...you knows, but God! Some are called to go with kids, some to wait, and some to support...its finding God's will meshing with yours and timing.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Hey you could always come to Japan.

Seriously, though, keep the dream alive, wait on God and see what happens. In the meantime enjoy the here and now.

8:13 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Dawn - I seriously can't wait.

Tabitha - Lady, you are on a misson of LOVE! What better mission than to be commissioned with a wonderful family such as yours!

Diana - yes. Again, your words ring true. We're all called to contribute in our own way...some support from home with prayers...some just say "I'm gonna try it once..."

Let me say this...I am really amazed at how people take that chance and get out of their comfort zones to go at least once. To just give it a shot. It surely inspires others to trust God.

Robin - my son is aching to go to Japan. He is very anxious to try a mission there but no one is organizing one from our church. I'm praying that one day he'll get to go. The high school group is focusing on Kenya for next summer.

11:25 PM  
Blogger Charlyn said...

I have had a desire to do a missions trip for so long. I think it would be so rewarding, and I even have had an inclining to do missions, but I know that is not where my husbands heart is, so therefore it cannot be for me. I know how you feel about wanted to go back, and to be there. I long to do a missions trip some day.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Shenna - prayers that your hubby will be touched one day to just "go for it!"

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home