Sunday, September 17, 2006


HAVE A COKE AND A SMILE...

God made us plain and simple but we have made ourselves very complicated. Eccl. 7:29

You know, my posts have dwindled. Time for myself and connecting with others has been short-changed somehow. I'm not gonna lie. I'm very tired tonight as I write.

I have been quite exhausted in the recent weeks. 12 hour days and time in the office on weekends. All this hit just as I was hired onboard for a small part time position with my church. I do believe, however, this is a season. I hang in there. I keep focused on the Lord. The upside of my exhaustion is that I am not currently asking "what's next" - which often seems a constant lament. Right now, I don't wanna know what's next. "Next" somehow equates in my mind to "more" and "more" I do not want at the moment.

God made us plain and simple...

I love to write. It is one gift the Father graciously bestowed me. Tonight, just writing a little bit, etching out something, feels precious to me.

...but we have made ourselves very complicated...

Such profound words from Solomon who once tried to find fulfillment apart from God. I recently wondered if the absence of enough time has somehow been caused by the infliction of a multitude of tasks now present in my life which seem to stand apart from God.

which seem to stand apart from God... and yet no task stands apart from God as He is in all things.

So there I go, making things complicated.

I imagine some birds build nests more swiftly than others. I mean, it's all about how quickly one can find the threads, the twigs, the cotton...sometimes predators lie in wait...sometimes eggs need to be nurtured and nestled. Some seasons lend themselves to swift solutions, others do not, but the tasks overall remain the same. The plain and simple truth is that God is in all things, including the seasons in life that seem to slow us to a grinding halt.

I take time this evening to reflect upon how complicated I've made my life...I rest in the promise that God's ways are plain and simple, His yoke is easy, His burden is light. How heavy my own self-induced burdens seem to me...the burden of perfection, the burden of over-willingness and ambition.

Tonight, I praise God for He has bound me to Him and lies within the intimacy of every task and toil in my life. Plain and simple.

With a deep breath,
I let it out
...asking You to take hold of all places in my life...
With a deeper breath,
I let this go
...submitting to Your nature, giving up my own

For You have made me plain and simple
and I really appreciate that
even though one might not ever know it from my actions

For You have made the nest,
the twig, the task, the thunder
Wonderful You
Flawless You

For You have made the seasons
and the signs,
the rain that washes life into inordinate brilliance

And it's me, who's made things complicated
Me, mercurial and human
humbly repenting for my arrogance...
asking for forgiveness...

With a deep breath,
I let it out
I let You in
Moving through this season of triumph
...holding onto You, holding onto me...


6 Comments:

Blogger TiNA said...

Beautiful. I do miss your posts, but I also understand. You were SHAPEd to write Danielle. You enjoy it and you are SO good at it.
What this verse made me think of is how God's definition of simple and complex is so different from our own. Creating life is simple to God, but not so simple to us. The concepts of love, hope, and service are simple in the fact that we are suppose to do them, but not as easy to actually carry out.
Do not get too hard on yourself. There is a season to every purpose under heaven (also a verse, but I was thinking the song). Just remember to keep the Main thing the main Thing.
Hang in there... I love ya tons!!

9:54 PM  
Blogger Charlyn said...

"I take time to reflect on how complicated I've made my life"...

that line stood out to me, because that is what it boils down to, especially in my life. Why does our human nature do this?

God's plan for us was not this, was it?

I miss your posts too, but I understand you have life outside of blogland, and how hectic life can get. Take care girl, and come back soon! Saying a prayer for you today!

7:56 AM  
Blogger Kevin Beck said...

Hi Danielle,
Nice observations. We become so entangled in the unessentials that we neglest the simplicity of the profound. I'll go out and simplify today. Thanks.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Gigi said...

Praying for you....We adore You as being in control of everything.....part of 1 Chronicles29:11-12.....that we were memorizing while on our trip....praying for you....and THANKS for this post...b

2:42 PM  
Blogger Gardenia said...

Ah, thank you. Plain and Simple! And thank you for beginnning to write again. I hope you know that your words are like water for a parched soul. I've been traveling a lot lately - and I've seen three eagles - somehow this post reminded me of those sightings and how complicated were my thoughts that they (the memory of eagles) barely burst through my mind, but thanks to you, now they are flying free in my memory. Just needed a reminder to be cognizant of God's creation and Him in it.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

TiNA - thank you for the encouragement and understanding.

Shenna - from one blog sistah to another...thank you!

Kevin - thank you for checking out my blog.

Becky - good to hear from you!

Diana - as usual, I breath a little easier after your kind replies. Thank you, dear lady!

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home