Wednesday, June 28, 2006


PRAISE GOD FOR ENJOYABLE SCENTS
(Welcome Our Guest Praiser - Janine!)

“Pleasing is the fragrance of your perfumes; 
 your name is like perfume poured out. 
 No wonder the maidens love you!” (Song of Solomon 1:3)

Today I went to the mall and as always I had to stop at the Bath and Body store. I can spend hours there just sampling new scents, trying out products and just enjoying the variety of smells that men try to mimic from nature. Then it got me thinking on how good God is to have given us scents, so that our lives can be more enjoyable. Who does not love a new car smell, fresh roses, baby smell or just baked apple pie?

There are so many studies on how scents can affect your mood, your productivity, your sexuality, and so much more. The beautiful thing is; God designed all that! We find so many mentions of perfume, fragrances and smells in the Bible. On the book of Ruth, Naomi tells Ruth to perfume herself for her master “Wash and perfume yourself, and put on your best clothes.” (Ruth 3:2) On the gospel of Matthew, we are told the story of the woman who poured very expensive perfume on Jesus’ head to show her devotion to him. “a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table”. (Matthew 26:7) That shows us how scents are important to God, they were created by him, so I don’t feel so bad for being so addicted to smelly candles, lotions and perfumes, God designed me to appreciate that, and I praise him for it!



Dear Lord, thank you for my lavender and acacia pillow mist, that calms me at night, thank you for orange ginger lotion, that gives me energy throughout the day, thank you for soothing eucalyptus, and for the expensive Givenchy and Burberrys that I love wearing. Thank you for blessing us with scents, thank you for perfuming my life with your love and your grace!

Janine

15 Comments:

Blogger Danielle said...

Wash yourself and put on your best clothes...I am gonna post this verse in Forrest's bathroom. As it is scripture, maybe it will inspire the Spirit within him! hee hee

I LOVE YOUR PRAISE!

Janine, thank you for offering this beautiful praise this morning. I had not thought about scents but WOW...they are from God. This is such a wonderful, Spirit-lead observation.

I don't take enough time to slow down and "smell purdy" but today I'm gonna put on a little parfume in praise of the Father-God who loves me!

7:48 AM  
Blogger TiNA said...

Great Guest praisin' going on up in here.

I have a friend that when asked what is your favorite smell she answered "the lack of stink". Good smells can cut straight to the spirit, but even stink is from God and can teach us. I will never forget my first smell of the Philippines. I smelled it before I saw it. I am sure Rwanda will be the same way.

Thanks for turning my mind and my praise torwards sniffing today :)

8:04 AM  
Blogger bigshoulders said...

great reflection. i'd overlooked that verse in Song of Solomon.

Praise on!
kevin

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tina, God can teach us things through stinkiness such as: you need to clean up your closet and find the dead animal that is lost there ;-)

Danielle, thank you for letting me share my praise with your friends, I feel honored.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Praise, praise, praise.... love all the scents...

10:01 AM  
Blogger raema said...

I was browsing and happened onto your website and have already been blessed by your heart for God. I'm a single mom of a beautiful 3 year old girl. We are from New Brunswick, Canada. We will be joining in on your 40 days of Praise. God is so good.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Gardenia said...

Scents are from God! It's true, althrough the Bible scent is mentioned. Boy, I can't wait to get to heaven and smell the aromas from the wedding supper, the aroma of God himself and all that he has prepared for us!

5:47 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Tina - you crack me up...the "lack of stink"...but hey, such a good point you are making here. I love your comment..."even stink is from God and can teach us." Is this wise or WHAT??!

Kevin - I concur!

Janine - you are most welcomed!

Sarah - I'm with you...

Raema - welcome! Another Canadian connection...COOL! Go single moms!

Diane - what a description! "aromas from the wedding supper"...this is inspiring! Thank you! Thank you godly lady!

8:21 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

I've smelled Tina's closet. I think Janine has a point.

8:47 PM  
Blogger TiNA said...

Wow... I guess I deserved that after the Adam Watts thing. He is singing again tonight... I might just have to put in a bad word for ya D. ;) Love ya!!

8:01 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Tina...this blog cannot turn into an AWatts forum so allow me direct you to www.adamwatts.com

This is where the teeny-bops go. hee hee

My prayers, Tina are that you get to work with him one day!

7:36 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Pedro. Muchos gracias.

Now, can someone translate?

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a post from my friend Pedro from Spain, how nice. This is what he says:
Janine, the truth is I had never thought there was so much to be said about scents and the fact that they were meaningful in the Bible. This shows two things, that God continues to be the God of details, and that you have a lot of sensibility to notice that. I wish that your life continues to radiate this fragrant scent, that is manifested wherever you go. You are the daughter of the King. Blessings from Eurpope.

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

correction! Last sentence reads: I wish that your life continues to radiate this fragrant scent, that manifests wherever you go that you are the daughter of the King. Blessings from Europe.

3:53 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Soo cool!

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home