Friday, May 23, 2008


COME THIRSTY

I had in mind an idea for a post tonight. It was going to be about "being thirsty" and the "living water" that is Jesus Christ. The theme of being thirsty and desiring a drink from the living water has been in my head a lot lately. I think of how thirsty I am for God. How parched I feel at times. And no matter what I drink, nothing quenches like God.

Jesus answered (to the Samaritan woman who was drawing water at a well...) "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." John 4:13-14

This truth sounds so good to me. I believe I can taste that clear clean water in my soul...I believe I have seen enough of life to know what bad water tastes like...I believe I know what a dry, cracked soul feels like...and just knowing this promise exists and is real compels me to speak of it...

I searched for a time for a good photograph. I wanted one that depicted someone who was thirsty or taking a drink of water. When I searched on the word "thirsty" I found a lot of different types of photos. Mostly of dogs or cats drinking. I found a lot of photos of thirsty people drinking beer or soda. There were even quite a few photos of monkeys drinking from fountains.

I found one photo of people at a finish line. I thought, I'd be pretty darn thirsty after finishing a race. Yeah. I believe the "thirsty" tag was appropriate for this photo. I could relate to feeling thirsty at a race.
Actually, I'd be pretty darn thirsty while I was running the race. I'd be the one to stop during the race and take a drink before moving on. I get THAT thirsty. I'm not a very disciplined person. I would probably start the race dehydrated and figure I'd get a drink along the way. I would probably have a hard time even finishing the race because I'd be too busy thinking about how thirsty I was. I suppose that's life for ya. I mean, races.
Then I saw this photo of a cat drinking from the toilet. I appreciated this. My sister's cat used to drink from our toilet. Drinking from a toilet is what I can only describe as "practical yet disgusting." One is thirsty and the toilet is unoccupied and unsecured. It would make sense to some...if you're a cat.

I wonder if a cat believes it is getting away with something when it drinks from a toilet. Much like when cats will try walking across countertops or tables they know they've already been shooed off of.

And then there's always the other reason: to a cat, the water probably tastes fresher because toilets are often flushed more frequently than water bowls are changed.

But still, it's toilet water, right?

So I am thinking more about the living water. I am thinking about where I go when I'm thirsty. What am I drinking? When I'm parched for the living water, why do I sometimes find myself head down into the toilet?

the t.v. toilet
the internet toilet
the radio toilet
the anxiety and fear toilet


John wrote: "and the angel showed me a pure river with the water of life, clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb, coursing down the center of the main street. On each side of the river grew a tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, with a fresh crop each month. The leaves were used for medicine to heal the nations." Revelation 22:1-2

Imagine. Water so pure it feeds the trees of life and from such trees nations are healed. Imagine what it would heal in me.

Lord, tonight I come thirsty.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Miss Danielle - glad to see you're blogging again :) There is also a great worship song called All Who are Thirsty. I think Kutless sings a version of it.

All who are thirsty
All who are weak
Just come to the fountain
Dip your heart in the stream of life
Let the pain and the sorrow be washed away
in the waves of His mercy
As deep cries out to deep

We sing, come lord Jesus come
come lord Jesus come
come lord Jesus come
come lord Jesus come

Won't you come (x2)

Nothing but your will for me
I am only free when you come

10:39 AM  
Blogger Gardenia said...

excellent - loved the cat n the toilet parable

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home