Wednesday, May 24, 2006


WHAT ARE YOU SMOKIN'?

"So my question for leaders -- and for Christians everywhere -- is, are you smoking what you're selling?" Rob Bell, Velvet Elvis

I threw this quote out to some friends of mine recently. I was trying to prompt a discussion. I was met with complete silence. Is this quote irreverent? Am I irreverent? Am I just plain crazy? Oh well...this isn't quite the point I wanna make here...

As of late, I've been wrestling with God, wresting with what it means to follow Christ. Much of this wrestling has to do with scripture and how it is used to guide our lives. A legalistic approach doesn't work for me and yet, I'm not about to toss stuff out. Rick is digging into some of these same concepts...check out his blog New Life Emerging...I'd place a link here but I can't figure out how to. (sorry, Rick) However, a link is provided on the front of my blog.

Okay, so I'm wrestling, I'm tackling...and you know what? God isn't gonna break. God is the father who invites us to tug on him, to trust that when we pull his beard, he will smile. And I am gonna tug on God my whole life. And he's gonna tug back. He's gonna let me get into the driver's seat but He already knows my feet can't reach the pedals.

Tonight, I wanna thank those of you out there who are wrestling with God right along with me...I want to thank those who are tugging...I have been enjoying your blogs and your journeys immensely.

Rob Bell continues...(and I'm diggin' what he's saying...drug culture reference aside...)

"I cannot lead people somewhere I am not trying to go myself. I don't have to have arrived. I don't have to be perfect, but I do need to be on the path. And that's why for so many the church experience has been so shallow -- so many leaders have never descended into the depths of their own souls. They haven't done the hard, difficult, gut-wrenching work of shining the bright lights on all of the years of baggage and destructive messages."

****
And wise Paul reminds us...

"As the scriptures say,

No one is good--
not even one.
No one has real understanding;
no one is seeking God.
All have turned away from God;
all have gone wrong.
No one does good,
not even one.
Their talk is foul, like the stench from an
open grave.
Their speech is filled with lies.
The poison of a deadly snake drips from
their lips.
Their mouths are full of cursing and
bitterness.
They are quick to commit murder.
Wherever they go, destruction and
misery follow them.
They do not know what true peace is.
They have no fear of God to restrain them.

Obviously, the law applies to those to whom it was given, for its purpose is to keep people from having excuses and to bring the entire world into judgment before God. For no one can ever be made right in God's sight by doing what his law commands. For the more we know God's law, the clearer it becomes that we aren't obeying it." Romans 3:9-20 (NLT)

****
I'm thankful for the journey...thankful tonight that God renewed my life that I might be privileged to ask these deeper questions...to face my Father-God as a child, as a woman.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I know that I am blessed that He hears me....little ol' me. What an awesome thought...God, our Father wants me to talk to Him.

4:41 AM  
Blogger Papa Louie said...

Another good one is; what are you drinking? Don't drink the Kool-Aid! Our struggle is not with flesh and blood but with the rulers against the authorities, against the world rulers of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of the evil in the heavenlies. (Eph 6:12)
All I know for me to live is Christ and to die is gain (Phil 1:21).
One more verse to live by: For the mind set on the flesh is death but the mind set on the spirit is life and peace (Rom 8:6) We know when our minds are set away from Christ we experience death so we are learning to set our mind on Christ

8:19 AM  
Blogger Gigi said...

It's that whole...you can't give away what you don't have ......and until we wrestle w/God it just stays in our heads and in wrestling and ultimately losing it drops like a stone into our hearts...at least that's what it seems like to me.....this quote may or may not be something to think about...


To quarrel with God is to pay God the supreme compliment: it is to take God seriously. It is to say that God matters enough to be worth some anger. To be indifferent to God is to pay God the supreme insult. It is to say that nothing of consequence is at stake. - Robert McAfee Brown, in his book, Elie Wiesel Messenger To All Humanity

9:13 AM  
Blogger Charlyn said...

Deep stuff. I love your heart and how you are always seeking Him, desiring to grow. Reminds me of someone else I know! ;)

7:55 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Sarah - yes, yes...I get what you're saying. I think...when God created so many wonderful things in the universe, why did he bother to create me? He reminds me why every day and I love him for it.

Papa Louie - thank you and welcome...these are surely verses to live by...we must die to Christ, a privilege, an honor that frees us...

Becky - YOU CONTINUE TO ROCK...I will post this quote for all...I'm so relating to it!

Chris/Shenna - thank you...Shenna, yes...we are all tugging...like wanting the story to be read faster and faster...we can't get enough of God!

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home