Tuesday, May 09, 2006


TODAY'S HIGHLIGHTS...
Went to lunch today with a girlfriend who works for a non-profit Christian organization. There was a Mercedes in the parking lot with a personalized plate that made reference to their ministry. It set me back a bit. The car, from what I understand, lists for close to 80k.

It was offputting to see such an expensive vehicle with a personalized plate referring to non-profit ministry.

It was insensitive.

It was gauche and tacky and weird.

It was totally, totally ME.

I have a confession. Whilst I hedge my way towards deeper service unto the Lord, don't think that I haven't had those moments...those private conversations with God where I lay my insensitive, tacky self before him,

Father, take me further into your arms
Allow me to love on, to serve others
Allow me to leave my selfish life behind
But, Father-God, let me keep my highlights
Lord, don't ask me to serve you with brown hair

As I continue to surrender my finances unto you
Leave me with enough to go see Melissa
Who doesn't screw with my hair
Who knows exactly what I want
But charges an ever-loving fortune

Lord, I need these highlights
They bring out the color in my cheeks
They make me feel more attractive
And see, I feel I need this because you gave me bad eyes
And I'm stuck with glasses

And I haven't found a man yet
So maybe if you'd give me my cupcake
I could deal with more-brown-er hair
And maybe do some home highlights
But I'd have to be sure my man really really loved me first

erh..Amen.


Friends, the moment we consider we're better than someone else, we're doomed...and moreoftenthannot we will compare ourselves to other Christians...I ain't too proud that I did this...but it did cause me to look a little deeper within to ponder whether or not I'm ready to expose my roots.

Are you?

8 Comments:

Blogger gracie said...

Ouchy.. yes.. none of us can throw any stones...

7:58 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Good word. Way to point out the issue humbly.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Charlyn said...

So true! Yes Lord, I'll serve you, but...

Had to laugh at the hair thing. I think he does want to see how far we will go, even in the small choices! Being a good steward is a tough one - we struggle with this one big time! But nothing is impossible with God.

And He knows the desires of your heart, if it's in His will - he'll bring you your "cupcake"! ;)

6:46 AM  
Blogger Gigi said...

ROTFL....loved the prayer.....honest and real...and seriously who among us hasn't prayed similar...What a good God you know!!

8:10 AM  
Blogger steve said...

classic!

Oh.. by the way...

MAT KEARNEY IS IN PORTLAND TONIGHT!!

HOWS THAT FOR HUMBLE!!!

8:38 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Gracie - ouch is right!

Robin - thanks for the input! I am honored you are reading my blog from Japan!

Shenna - yes, being a good steward...excellent way to express what I am feeling in this post here. Cupcake...it's up to God!

Becky - thank you for always encouraging my honesty!

Steve - grrrh...gee thanks...rub it in!! Come to SoCal MAT! Please!! I'm hoping to read a review on the show!

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are an amazing writer, just wanted to remind you of that.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Totally awesome! So true of all of us in our flesh...our only hope is in the Lord and the indwelling of his Holy Spirit!

I am so glad you found my blog! Thanks for your comment. I've added you to my blogroll on the sidebar of my page.

:-)

6:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home