Wednesday, February 22, 2006



POWERFUL PRAYER DORKS
My small group met this evening and I'd prepared a one week study on the power of prayer. It was something I needed. Something they needed. It was awesome.

The first questions asked were: "What kinds of requests do you pray about freely?" and then, "What do you hesitate to pray about?" Good questions.

I tend to pray more freely for others. I am not always specific in my prayers when it comes to my own needs. I beat myself up sometimes...just let go, just surrender. I've come so far...but the path before me into ministry looms and I want to be there...to become a woman God can use. I know full well He is using me now but that complete surrender...I long for it with all my heart.

I have a bit further to go on my debt, nearly paid off. And the house I just bought? God will have to show me what I'm supposed to do. My contract ends in a few months. I left a 3 year gig to return to a place with little future for me but it was, in part, because I wanted to work with my friend who's wife has cancer. I wanted to be near him. When he called to tell me he needed help I knew it was more than just help with the audit. I felt he needed someone around who could help carry the stress load that the audit has brought. So I turned away from a 3 year contract and took one for 7 months and here I am now...trusting God. (sigh) I guess, I guess it feels pretty good. I would do it again.

So I want to begin to pray more freely about my financial security...to place it in His hands.

The other issue I do not pray enough about is my singleness. I guess my problem is that I don't know what I want. Being a leader now in the Singles Ministry at my church, suddenly I take dating and even talking to men quite seriously. I'm freaked out on many levels!! It isn't in my best interest to make a snail's trail through the ministry...!

It's been over 18 months since Tom and I parted. The more time passes, the more confused I've become. I wonder if I'm meant to remain single (I seem to accomplish more this way...) This study on prayer challenged us to be specific with our requests. So I think I'm going to ask God to give me peace in this area. I don't know why I think this is so tough...to find peace...God only created the heavens and earth...this should be rather simple for Him, right? I'm such a dork!

3 Comments:

Blogger steve said...

Ahhhh singleness... I preached on singleness a couple weeks ago. I have the sermon posted on my site.

12:02 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Steve - I checked out your sermon. WOW. Great message. The "Myths of Singledom" ring true. Yes, God bless the single guys (and gals) who know they are not ready for marriage.

Being involved with a singles ministry, I have seen too many turn a romantic relationship into their "God" and it pains me every time I see this happen.

I too experience "amazing pleasure in the service of others..." and I feel each moment my intimate needs are more than met by my friends, by my Lord. What a joy this season is for all us singles. But if my granddad (a pastor) asks me one more time why I'm not married...if he had a computer, I'd send him a link to your sermon!

Praise God! And thanks.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Rachael said...

Being single... I guess my thoughts lately on this subject are "meh"...I can't make it happen, its entirely up to God. I haven't been in a long term relationship since college...5 years or so ago. And as you get older its harder and harder to find available men. SO, sure I can do my part to look good and be a great woman...but in the end I have to trust God to just make it happen. I sort of give up ..ha.

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home